Monday, September 19, 2011

French Beef Dip --- freezer cooking

I got this idea and some recipes from http://mamaandbabylove.blogspot.com/2011/04/freezer-cooking-with-slow-cooker.html  this is a GREAT idea. Put all ingredients for a crock pot meal in a gallon bag and freeze then just put the frozen goodies in the crock pot for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. Her recipes she splits to make two meals and she has 2 adults and one child in her family. The ones I tried I did half the recipe to see if we liked it. I am not a big fan of most things frozen after they are frozen, like doing once a month cooking and putting all in the freezer, I don't like the texture. I do a few things but not a lot. So I really like this idea. I will share the other recipes I am trying if we like it.

Here is Here original recipe
French Beef Dip



5 pounds of rump roast or bottom round beef (cut into smaller sections, not tiny, just enough to fit into the bag, you can cut them up more after they are cooked)  I used a roast I already had in the freezer just took the plastic off and put it in the bag and cut it up once it had thawed a bit in the crock pot.

4 packages of portobello mushrooms, leave them whole. I don't like portobellos so I used large button mushrooms "stuffing size"

2 14 ounces of beef broth (add day of) red wine would have been good half and half maybe

2 onions chopped I will do less onions next time.

I also added about 1/4 cup soy sauce and 3 cloves of garlic.

Assemble all ingredients(except broth) into freezer bags. Place in freezer. Day of cooking, place in slow cooker and add broth. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4. You can shred chicken if you want, or leave in chunks. Serve with rice or cous-cous or make sandwiches. This recipe makes extra liquid, for dipping if you make sandwiches.

This is my bag from the freezer before going in the crock pot.

No comments: