Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Gluten Free

I have had a couple friend lately asking about Gluten Free diets and I thought I would post a bit of what I have shared with them on here.

A bit of History, Harrison has verbal apraxia which is a vary intense speech issue along with sensory processing disorder, and when we went gluten free we were on a edge of a autism label. My drs. did not think it would help but I went on and tried it on my own and within 2 weeks we saw MAJOR improvements in his behavior which was a major issue. He was able to control his body, control more melt downs and slept through the night for the first time. When we started the diet he only had 5 words that some people could understand with in 4 months he was talking in sentences, sleeping, and just a much happier kid. We only did the gluten and not dairy too, he was on soy milk and very limited dairy already so we just left that alone. It can be overwhelming but once you get your head around it it is not hard.



This is the BEST book to read it is about gluten and dairy free. It explains why our kids don't process these things well and how it can effect them. I have read a lot on this topic and THIS IS THE BEST and easy to read I talked about it here http://parkhurst1.blogspot.com/2010/01/some-books-apraxia.html


When reading labels other than just wheat or flour you will need to check for these. It can even say wheat free but has these things in it so it is not gluten free also. also remember oats (oatmeal) are processed in flour plants so unless they are labeled gluten free it is not safe. I keep this list on my phone for when I am shopping etc.

Gluten hides on food labels as:

Hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP)

Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP)

Modified food starch (source is either corn or wheat)

Mustard powder (some contain gluten)

Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)

Gelatinized starch

Natural flavoring, fillers

Whey protein concentrate

Whey sodium caseinate

White vinegar or white grain vinegar

Rice malt (contains barley or Koji)

Rice syrup (contains barley enzymes)

Dextrin, malt, maltodextrin



I order bread, pizza crust, and cookies from this bakery

http://www.katzglutenfree.com


It is the best we have found. if you order $30 worth you get free shipping. Udi's it the best and only kind you can find in stores that is worth even trying. bread is always better toasted a bit.



I get A LOT Of cereal and snacks at big lots, you have to look but they get lots of stuff and usually half the price, which is a big help since the boxed stuff is so pricey. I use the cereal in place of bread crumbs to "bread" chicken or fish or to add into meatloafs etc.

Here is a link to the posts on my blog that I have tagged as Gluten free, there is a lot of food products and some recipe ideas in there http://parkhurst1.blogspot.com/search/label/gluten%20free


No comments: