Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Garlic Cheese Grits

This is one of my favorite recipes and one of the most requested from family and friends. I don't have pictures but it is yummy... The base of this recipe came from a Paula Deen recipe but I took some things out and added some more.

2 cups water
1 3/4 cups milk
1 t salt
1 cup quick cooking grits
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 stick plus 1 T of butter
1/3 cup diced green onions
6 oz garlic Herb cheese. ( I have used hard cheese and spread and they both work. I usually use the spread that you find in the deli section of the store. Sometimes I will mix the garlic herb with tomato basil, I also buy these when they are on clearance and freeze)
1 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 lb bacon cooked and crumbed
2 eggs lightly beaten.


in a saucepan, bring the water and milk to a boil. Slowly add the grits and return to a boil. Stir for 1 full minute. Reduce the heat cover and cook for 3 minutes. Stir the grist and add 1 stick of butter, stirring until it has melted.

Cover and cook for 4 minutes, until the grits are thick and creamy. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Saute the onions in the remaining 1 T of butter till tender

Add the garlic cheese and 1 1/2 cups of Cheddar and onions to the grits. and stir until the cheese is melted. Stir in the beaten eggs slowly.

Pour into greased casserole dish and bake at 350 for about 30 mins

Sprinkle the remaining cheese over and a layer of bacon , and layer of tomatoes and bake till melted .

This is the cheese I use most often

No comments: